Catalog Navigation


A Stanford undergraduate or graduate student who believes that he or she has been subject to an improper decision on an academic matter may file a grievance pursuant to the Student Academic Grievance Procedure. For other types of grievances, students should review the section that follows on the Student Non-Academic Grievance Procedure, and consult concerning applicable procedures with the Director of the Diversity and Access Office, Kingscote Gardens, 419 Lagunita Drive, Suite 130, Stanford, CA 94305-8550; (650) 723-0755 (voice), (650) 723-1791 (fax), (email). An individual whose matter has been substantially addressed through one of Stanford’s grievance procedures (including but not limited to the Student Academic Grievance Procedure, the Student ADA/Section 504 Grievance Procedure, the Age Discrimination Act of 1975 Grievance Procedure, the Grievance Resolution Procedure for Postdoctoral Scholars, the Student-Athlete Grievance Procedure, or the Student Non-Academic Grievance Procedure) may not raise and seek redress of the same matter under a different Stanford grievance procedure. The University retains discretion to determine when a matter has been substantially addressed.

California Dept of Consumer Affairs Complaint Procedure

An individual may contact the Bureau for Private Postsecondary Education for review of a complaint. The bureau may be contacted online or at 2535 Capitol Oaks Drive, Suite 400, Sacramento, CA 95833; phone: (916) 431-6959; fax: (916) 263-1897.